Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Staff Training

Last week we had our staff training in Orlando, FL at the Summer Orlando Project. We got to see 130 students from colleges in the Charleston area living together in a hotel, learning how to grow in their relationship with God, and working at Disney World. It has been an awesome privilege for me to be connected to some of these students over the past 4 years in Charleston. I attended 3 of these projects and they really changed my life! Needless to say, it was pretty entertaining and exciting. Water fights are the big thing this year, it is pretty fun to see twenty-year olds running around screaming like crazy people with water balloons in hand.

My best friends Betsy and Katie are helping to run the show this summer. Somehow I escaped to be in Naperville raising support and taking classes at Wheaton so I get to be grown up while they have all the fun. They were pretty excited to see the staff when we arrived last Sunday and the students were confused by the new faces on their turf.


One of the nights we were there the students had a home-made chili and pie cook off so of course we went to check it out and got all decked out in our country gear. Kellie caught us singing in the car and took a picture... I'm not sure why I have my back pack on?


Later in the evening the boys found a way to get everyone dirty and started a sliding contest in the mud, standard. Here is a picture of our new staff guy at the College of Charleston, Max, and James, setting a great example of how to be ridiculous at the project.


While the students were at work, the staff came together and learned some awesome stuff about the Lord to strengthen our vision. The first day we met together as a Raleigh team, Ben Elseroad shared with us some equipping information on how to talk to people about the validity of Jesus rising from the dead. It is pretty essential to the Christian faith and at UNC I am hoping to get into some good discussions with people where a question about the resurrection might come up. Lots of intellectuals discuss what might have happened to Jesus after the cross. Through valid documents, hundreds of testimonies, and the Holy Scriptures, it becomes clear that he appeared to many people 3 days after he died and several days after that. I was reminded that He is the Son of God, worth giving my life and heart to.

No comments: