Wednesday, June 6, 2007

University of North Carolina

Some facts about UNC Chapel Hill:
  • UNC anchors the famed research triangle (Raleigh, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke University) which plays a vital role in nurturing the economic development of the country.

  • It is one of the 75 most competitive universities to attend.

  • Ranked #1 out of the 100 best public universities.

  • In fall 2006, UNC had 27,500 students enrolled from 49 states and over 100 countries.

  • UNC fans tell me that the Tarheels are the best basketball team in the country!

What are college students at UNC saying about God? A video camera stopped a random sample of seven students and asked them what God means to them. Here are their responses:

  1. "I guess for me, God is more of an abstract sort of thing, rather than a person or a figure. Just like the relationships between people, between nature and people, animals and people."
  2. "I personally have a lot of questions about whether I think God actually exists. I think that if God does exists it's in a intangible way."
  3. God to me is a force that connects all of us."
  4. "To me... God is the questions unanswered by science. That's where I draw on faith."
  5. "If there was a God, he gave up on us a long time ago. I think it's a life force and energy."
  6. "I think of Jesus the same way I think of Martin Luther King Jr. or Gahndi, more of a political figure. I think he's a political, historical person."
  7. "He [Jesus] is an amazing man there is no question about that. But I don't call him 'Christ' and I don't think about him as a god... but that's just my god. I think different people have different gods."

No comments: